Isa-isahin nyo to at pag natawa kayo, nangiti, may naalala, syurbol akong batang 90’s ka!
1. Masaya ka kapag naglalaro ka ng Tex at Pog. Kadalasan ang design dito ay yung mga palabas sa TV, mga drama o kaya anime, may dialogue pa.
2. May comics pa ang bazooka. Kahit di mo maintindihan yung Fortune Cookie sa huli ay collection mo pa rin yun.
3. Uso pa yung tirador, yung gawa talaga sa sanga ng puno.
4. Ang mga babae naglalaro ng paper dolls na tigpipiso bawat isang set sa sari-sari store.
5. Kung lalake ka, siguradong may pellet gun ka.
6. Humihingi ka ng dalawang piso sa magulang mo para maglaro ng video arcade sa sari-sari store. Favorite mo yung Sonic, Mario at Street Fighter at Tetris.
7. Nagwa-watusi ka kapag New Year kahit pinapagalitan ka ng nanay mo.
8. Meron kang sapatos na umiilaw yung swelas kapag iniaapak mo. Mas sikat kung iba-iba yung kulay.
9. Merong at least isang Chicago Bulls na shirt sa bahay nyo. Madalas number 23 pa yung nakalagay.
10. Pinapatulog ka ng yaya/nanay mo tuwing tanghali o hapon para raw lumaki. Hindi na kasi pinapatulog ang mga bata ngayon tuwing tanghali di tulad nung panahon natin.
11. Sinasabihan ka ng matatanda na may lalabas na pari o bigas sa sugat mo kapag hindi nilagyan ng alcohol pero in the end, betadine lang ang magpapatahimik sa inyo.
12. Kung babae ka, nagkaroon ka ng butterfly hairclips/rings. (si Jolina ang nagpauso nito)
13. Kung medyo may pera ang pamilya nyo, nagpabili ka ng Polly Pocket.
14. Naglalagay ka ng Kisses (yung mabango) sa pencil case mo, o kaya sa isang lalagyan na may bulak, alcohol at tinutusok ng karayom para mabilis manganak.
15. May free stickers ng Disney movies sa loob ng Maggi noodles.
16. Pinapatunog mo yung takip ng Gatorade.
17. Ang mga stationeries na uso: Papemelroti, Tsukuba, Sashikibuta. Pwedeng ibenta, pwedeng trade lang.
18. Pampalipas oras mo dati ang paglalaro ng Brick Game, at swerte yung mga may advanced version na may tumatagos na blocks para mapuno na yung gap sa loob. Mas advanced ka kung Tamagotchi ang nilalaro mo. Pinapakain mo, pinapatulog mo, at inililibing mo kung namatay na. At kung talagang kaya nyong bumili, Game Boy ang sayo. Pero kung wala ka talaga, yung laruan na lang na may tubig sa loob tapos dapat ma-shoot mo yung mga bilog sa stick na maliit.
19. Bago magsimula ang klase, nakikilaro ka muna sa 10-20, jackstone, langit lupa, ice water, taguan, dr. quack quack, tumbang preso, pepsi seven up at agawan base. Di bale nang madumi na ang uniform mo pagpasok ng classroom.
20. Sinasabi mo sa kaklase mo na “Liars go to hell” kapag tingin mo nagsisinungaling sya. ”Cross my heart, hope to die” kapag nangangako ka. “Period no erase” kapag gusto mo walang kumontra sayo. Kaya lang wala kang lusot kapag sinabi ng kaklase mo na “Akin yung factory ng pambura”.
21. Sikat ka pag ang pencil case mo nabubuksan sa dalawang side taposmaraming attachments like magnifying lens, book stand, compartments na maliliit tapos push button pa. Minsan sa ibabaw ng pencil case meron pang maze, may maliit na silver na bola tapos itatagilid mo yung pencil case para gumulong yun, hanggang sa matapos yung maze.
22. Di ka baduy kung ang notebook mo nung elementary ay may mukha ng artista
23. Sa coleman mo inilalagay ang tubig na baon mo sa school.
24. Nagpabili ka ng Baby-G sa magulang mo.
25. Elementary ka nung nauso ang pager. Yun pa ang pinapangarap ng mga bata, hindi pa cell phone.
26. Meron ka pa rin ng pinakamalaking cell phone na nakatago na ngayon sa mga kahon.
27. Wala pang PS/PS2, XBox, Wii, atbp. noon. Family Computer pa lang, yung cartridge yung bala. Usong laro ang Mario Bros., Battle City at Rambo.
28. Meron ka ng isa sa mga ito: Family Computer, Nintendo, Sega, roller blades, brick game, Tamagochi, Swatch Watch w/ matching guard, Troll collection.
29. Alam mo ang mga linyang ito sa mga kanta: “Natatawa ako, hi hi hi hi”, “Anong paki mo sa long hair ko”, “Dahil sa bawal na gamot”, “Mga kababayan ko, bilib ako sa kulay ko”.
30. Isa dito ay theme song mo: “I Swear” by All 4 One, “What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes (Andsay, Hey ey ey ey ey ey. I said hey, What’s goin on!), “Zombie” by Cranberries.
31. Sumasayaw ka ng Macarena.
32. Alam mo ang kanta ng Spice Girls at may favorite ka sa kanila. Kung fan ka talaga, may poster ka pa at casette tape ka pa nila.
33. Malamang ay naging fanatic ka ng isa sa mga sumikat na boy bands.
34. Ang tinutugtog lagi sa radyo ay mga kanta ng mga banda gaya ng Eraserheads, Parokya ni Edgar nung nagpapalda pa lang sila, Alamid, Rivermaya, True Faith, The Youth, Afterimage at kung anu-ano pang pinoy bands.
35. Tape pa ang uso, di CD or MP3 players. Pag gusto mo yung kanta kailangan tantyahin mo kung ilang seconds i-rewind yun para mabilis paulit-ulitin.
36. Kinakanta nyo dati sa school yung “Heal the World”, “Tell the World of His Love”, “Jubilee Song”, etc.
37. Nanonood ka dati ng Power Rangers, Captain Planet o Ninja Turtles. Nagkukunyari pa kayo ng mga kaibigan mo na kayo yun at nagkakasipaan kayo.
38. Di ka papagalitan ng magulang kahit magbabad ka sa TV, basta ang pinapanood mo ay Hiraya Manawari, Bayani at Sine Skwela, kung saan nakilala mo sila Teacher Waki, Ugat Puno, Palikpik, at ang buong barkada nila lalo na kapag nakasakay sila sa space ship o sa jeep na lumilipad.
39. Sinubaybayan mo ang Ghost Fighter at ang Dragon Ball. Naging favorite mo si Eugene at si Goku.
40. Niloloko mo yung theme song ng Voltes V kasi di mo maintindihan yung theme song: ”Tato ni Ara Mina malaking cobra…”, “Boltes Payb lima sila, pumunta sa kubeta…”, ”…Kontra Bulate!”
41. Napanood mo din yung ibang anime tulad ng Shaider, Sailormoon, Daimos at Maskman. Saulo mo pa nga yung kanta dun: “Oh maskuman kayo ang pag-asa.. Iligtas kami sa marahas na kadiliman… Kami inyong ipaglaban! Sugod, sugod laban maskuman, ipaglaban nyo ang katarungan.. Sige, sige laban maskuman..”
42. Sinubaybayan mo ang Sarah ang Munting Prinsesa, Julio at Julia, at Cedi. Pinanood mo pa nga yung movie version ng Sarah ang Munting Prinsesa with Camille Prats.
43. Alam mo din yung “Ang Pulubi at ang Prinsesa” with Camille Prats and Angelica Panganiban.
44. Gusto mong sumali sa ANG TV. Pero alam mong hindi na pwede. kaya kuntento ka na lang sa panonood nito tuwing 4:30 ng hapon.
45. Batibot ang usong palabas. Akala mo nga mag-dyowa o mag-asawa sina Kuya Bodjie at Ate Sheena.
46. Alam mo yung tono ng pinausong kanta ng show na “ATBP.”: Isa.. dalawa-tatlo.. apat-lima.. anim-pito-walo.. syam-sampu… labingisa-labingdalawa… labingtatlo… labingapat-labinglima…
47. Napanood mo ang Batang X.
48. Sabay kayo nanonood ng yaya mo ng Marimar.
49. Nanonood ka ng kahit alin dito: “Okay Ka Fairy Ko”, “Oki Doki Doc”, “Abangan ang Susunod na Kabanata”, “Palibhasa Lalake”, “Ober da Bakod”, at “Home Along Da Riles”.
50. Galit ka kay Clara kasi sobra naman talaga sya mang-api kay Mara.
51. Pinanood mo din yung “Villa Quintana”, “Esperanza”, “Anakarenina” atbp.
52. Mga love teams na nagpakilig sayo: Juday and Wowie. Jolina and Marvin.
53. Alam mo yung commercial ng Tender Juicy hotdog na ganito: “Dear diary, Carlo sat beside me today. He’s so cute! Sabi niya I’m pretty kaya lang I’m fat.”
54. Kinakanta mo yung “Thank God it’s Sabado, pati na rin Linggo…” at “Isa pa, isa pa, isa pang Chicken Joy”.
55. Nasa channel 2 pa ang Eat Bulaga at ang Mel and Jay.
56. Nakikita mo sa balita na may mga kultong nagtatago na sa kweba, kasi magugunaw na ang mundo sa year 2000, at yung mga computer daw bigla na lang mag-shu-shut down at mawawala na daw ang technology.
57. Chinese variety shows ang palabas tuwing umaga ng linggo.
58. Matapang ka kung napanood mo lahat ng Shake, Rattle and Roll movies.
59. Narinig mong i-announce sa radyo yung death ni Princess Diana. Biglang nauso yung kanta ni Elton John na “Goodbye, England’s Rose.”
60. Nasa VHS yung mga movies na pinapanood ninyo sa bahay.
61. Kung babae ka, naging crush mo si Leonardo di Caprio dahil sa Titanic. Kaya nga lang, bawal ka pa tumingin sa kissing scenes nina Jack at Rose. Haha. :))
NOTE FROM BUBBLYGUM (pinoytumblr admin): Alam nyo ba na ako ang author nito? :P Ginawa namin ito nung mga kaibigan ko nung 2007. Eto yung original post ko sa dati kong Multiply account. Nakakatuwa lang kasi kung saan-saan ko na sya nakikita ngayon =)
“Ang inyong anak ay hindi ninyo anak, sila’y mga anak na lalaki at babae ng buhay. Bagama’t nanggaling sa inyo, sila’y hindi inyo. Maibibigay niyo sa kanila ang inyong pagmamahal, ngunit hindi ang inyong paniniwala. Mabibigyan niyo ng tahanan ang kanilang katawan ngunit hindi ang kanilang kaluluwa sapagkat ang kanilang kaluluwa ay namamahay sa templo ng kinabukasan na hindi niyo madadalaw kailanman.”—-Jules Bartolome, Dekada 70
Ever thought about the different personalites that Mapuans have? Well, a lot of people say that Mapuans are hybrids of different personalities. Read on as we find out the different groups and faces that comprise Mapuans.
JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE
Pageants, singing contests, or I-have-the-face-and-willing-to-show-it-to-others contests are the usual games of these people. They are the pageant Kings and Queens of MIT. Not only are they equipped with good looks and a killer smile but they are also capable of answering the question: “In your years of existence, what is the biggest mistake you did and what did you do to make it right?” Thank you, Venus Raj.
The people who belong to the A-list often proclaim Math as the easiest subject. They breathe Math naturally and can do the wonders of your college algebra. They are totally equipped with the “brains”, as some call it, and often lend their homework, projects or better yet, bundles of OT to fellow Mapuans trailing behind the race to graduation. They are expected to be the next faces that would be printed on huge tarpaulins with the word ‘topnotcher’.
MR. AND MS. LEADERSHIP AWARDEE
They are better known to be the next political leaders of our nation. For them, being elected as organization or council officers is the next best thing.
THE REVENGE OF THE SMOKER
The wall in front of Mapua is their usual place to hang-out since smoking is a big no-no inside the campus. They often release tension and stress through cigarette smoking. Be careful though, cigarette smoking can kill.
LET’S PLAY BALL!
The active people. They are the athletes who carry the name of Mapua in various national and international competitions. These people are always on the go when it comes to sports. They often engage in extra curricular activities and have the words “energy drink” in their vocabulary.
ALL-AROUND NICE MAPUAN
These are the ordinary Mapuans who cast a smile to peers. They usually put academics first rather than extra curricular activities. That depends on the situation though, especially if a bingo ticket is worth a plus 20 points on the next Math exam.
For them 9:00 PM is the start of their day. At 9:00 PM, they are just about to start the on-the-spot night out in Mags. “CHEERS” is their favorite word.
They are Mapuans who flock every supplies store, even Mapua’s very own bookstore. They are the ones who you can borrow a book from, especially the expensive ones. Not only that, they also give away bond papers and lend staplers.
EVERYONE IS MY FRIEND
These are the type of people who has more than one organization and are members of it. Mapuans under this cateogy coincide with the All-Around Nice Mapuan.
It is 3 in the afternoon and SM is a no go since it is terribly hot outside. Given the fact that your next class starts in 3 hours, where will you spend all of your free time? Here is a quick guide to the 9 suggested tambayans for Mapuans.
It is a bookworm’s club. The school library is open from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM to students who want to gain access of library privileges. The library is not just a place for you to read books, review for exam, etc. It is also a place for you to unwind.
Bring your laptop with you and play that podcast. With your laptop provided with the campus-wide wifi, anything is possible and killing time is a piece of cake.
Are you hungry? If the answer is yes, head to the school’s cafeteria. The school’s canteen offers wide range of culinary delights; from grilled dishes to Paotsin, from pizza to french fries.
3. SOUTH 3RD FLOOR HALLWAY
Perhaps, the hallway of the south building on the 3rd floor is the most quiet hallway in the Mapua campus, unlike the messy canteen and the noisy library.
4. ORG TAMBAYAN
Spend time with your orgmates! Have them tell you the latest scoop inside the campus or better yet, have them teach you the technique on ace-ing the next exam.
Beside the chapel are different tambayans of different organizations that focus on religion and catechism. If you are searching for a quiet place, then proceed to the chapel. Take a sweet escape from the campus’ busy halls.
6. STUDENT PAVILION
The student pavilion, or the dog house as some of the older Cardinals call it, is open to Mapuans who want to have a quick meal and watch Showtime simultaneously. Unfortunately, the TV is not always turned on.
7. SOUTH CIRCLE
A little self-explanatory. Near to classrooms, near to the main gate.
Watch frosh students battle it out on their P.E. classes or watch our very own varsity teams practice and warm up. The gym is not advisable as a tambayan, though. Beware of volleyballs!
9. PEER ADVISING
If you’re lost with your Math lessons and you have a lot of time to kill, better go to the peer advising room located at the 5th floor of the west building. Let your fellow Mapuans teach you the rudiments of your subject matter.
SIGNAL NO. 1 SICKNESS - Kapag may bagyo at kahit signal number 1 lang, tinatamad na pumasok o kaya na-trauma sa nangyari noong bagyong Ondoy.
AFTER QUIZ SYNDROME - Kapag nagquiz para sa isang asignatura, kadalasan ay hindi pumapasok next meeting.
P.E. TARDINESS - Para sa mga Mapuan, okay lang ang ma-late sa P.E.
CONFERENCE ROOM ANG LIBRARY - Maingay sa library. Ito ang dahilan kung bakit mainit ang ulo ng mga librarian.
KAIN TO THE MAX DISORDER - Kung may pagkakataon kumain, ang Mapuan ay bibili ng pagkain. Sa sobrang dami ng ginagawa o kaya sa sobrang hectic ng schedule, kadalasan ay wala ng oras para kumain. Kaya kapag nadismiss ng maaga para sa isang subject, diretso agad sa canteen.
LIBRARY ANG CANTEEN - Palaging walang maupuan sa canteen. Hindi dahil masyadong marami ang mga Mapuan. Ito ay dahil mayroong mga magkakabarkada na gumagawa ng homework o kaya nag-aaral sa canteen.
HEADBANG DISEASE - Dahil wala o kaya hindi maganda ang tulog dahil sa mga project at requirements o kaya dahil sa Facebook, Tumblr at Twitter, madalas ay nagheheadbang ang mga Mapuan sa classroom. Hindi dahil rockstar ang professor nila. Ang dahilan ay inaantok sila.
The clock strikes twelve and you’re hungry. You proceed to the halls of the cafeteria and you see varieties of food to enjoy, but which one to pick? Lo and behold the guide to the Mapua canteen.
ENERGY KICK - Are you looking for that quick energy kick and sugar rush in order to get through one tough school day? There are different sweets that the canteen has to offer. Starting off with doughnuts and ice cream.
FOR MEAT LOVERS OR POTATO ADDICTS - Pizza and french fries or other potato critters are good ideas to consider for snack foods. When you want pizza, you must have to wait since they get it fresh from the oven. On the other hand, potato critters such as french fries make you decide between three flavors: cheese, barbecue or sour cream.
JAPANESE STALL - There is a small Japanese stall at the cafeteria that caters to Japanese cake and takoyaki lovers.
NOODLES - Fried noodles definitely has a place at Mapua. You can choose from a regular sized one or a jumbo bucket of fried noddles. They even have a guide on the quantity of sauce you should only put on your noodles. Talking about being customer-friendly.
STREET FOOD - Mapua provides a shortcut to the avenue of street foods outside the campus by proving a stall that provides the all-time Filipino favorite street foods. Make a choice between tokneneng, fish balls, squid balls or other oriental fried food.
DUMPLINGS AND RICE - Perhaps, this is one of the highlights of the cafeteria. When you want dumplings, whether fried or not, fall in line and order yours. There is a huge variety to choose from starting off with sharksfin. You can have your dumplings fried or steamed with the classic sweet and sour sauce or toyomansi. Moreover, you can have it with either Hainanese rice or Lemak rice.
TERIYAKI - Searching for the best teriyaki in the joint? Well, the cafeteria has it. The teriyaki stall offers pork and beef teriyaki. They also have other dishes to offer. You can choose from vegetable side dish or their famous yakisoba.
OFF OF THE GRILL - If you’re craving for grilled seafood or poultry, again, the cafeteria has it to offer. From squid to fish and from pork to chicken, you can choose from any of the available grilled seafood or poultry available. As an added bonus, you can choose your side dish too.
HOMECOOKED MEALS - At the corner of the cafeteria, Filipino dishes, both native and influenced, are available for consumption. As an example, they serve the famous chicken adobo or the vegan favorite pinakbet for Mapuans.
NANAY: Grabe naman kayo! July pa ang pasukan. Anong gagawin mo niyan? May pa lang naman. Mabuti pa’t mag-Math Plus ka muna. Para ma-exempt ka na dun sa Algebra lab at Trigo lab ba un? Ano ba ginagawa dun? Math na nga lang may laboratory pa. Kunin mo na din ung mga ibang plus para may gawin ka sa bakasyon. Hindi puro Twitter, Facebook at Tumblr ang inaatupag mo. Mas maganda ung nagpreprepare ka na para sa college. Yung tipong alam mo na kapag talagang first day at hindi ung umiikot-ikot ka para hanapin ung room mo. Ieenroll na kita sa Math Plus at sa ibang plus.
(Kawawa naman si Anak. Kung alam lang nila na wala ng bakasyon matapos ang mahabang summer break nila from high school to college.)
In less than three weeks, another school year will start! I can’t wait to meet new people and I really can’t wait to be a SOPHOMORE!
So to all the Very-Soon-to-be Mapuans out there, here are some tips that I can share to you that I learned throughout my one year stay in Mapua:
ALWAYS BRING your Certificate of Matriculation (CM), this will serve as your ID if you still don’t have one or you forgot yours. Same goes with 1/4 INDEX CARDS, this is essential since professsors will ask you to write down your personal information in you Index Cards. Another is your Notebooks, be it steno, pad paper, coupon bond, or a yellow pad. You will have to jot down some useful information, SOP’s, and House Rules that your professor will give you on the first day.
Before the first day, take time to WALK THROUGH the buildings of the institute, this is to familiarize yourself with the school and will not be confused in finding your classrooms on the first day.
OLD TESTAMENT’s or OT are exams from past quarters and are very useful. You can get OT’s of Departmental Exams at the Library or you can join organizations so that you can interact with upperclassmen, and with that, you can borrow OT’s of your subjects. NOTE: Do not rely on OT alone. Use the OT as your guide and training ground in passing your exam.
MAPUAN RULE: Thou shall not rely on OT alone.
There are Professors in Mapua, who are, err.. Strict. These are the so-called “Terror” Professors of Mapua. The LEADS, is an acronym for the Surnames of the Terror Professor of the Math Department. (*As of present time, Professor S from leads is now the Chairwoman of the Math Department.) If there are “Terror” Professors, there also the “Surepass” ones. (or the VLEADS. HAHA) It is just a matter of luck if you want them as your instructors. TIP: No one’s safe. Always keep that in mind. In my opinion, there are no terror, and surepass professors. Your grades still lie on your performance. So study hard!
Books and the PE Uniform are available at the bookstore. There are some business-minded Mapuans, who sell their books at a cheaper price. So before deciding to buy at the bookstore, look first if someone is selling theirs at a very cheap price. You did not just save money, but you also are saved from the long lines at the Bookstore!
Some Classes Especially Laboratory Classes require a strict dress code. Ask your instructor if you are required to do so.
College students, especially Mapuans are dubbed as water-proof because classes are suspended IF there is a storm signal no. 3 in Manila or if the school wishes to suspend classes, which is quite impossible due to the Quarter System. So always bring an umbrella! :)
College is very different from High School. In Mapua, You get to learn a subject for 11 WEEKS. Time management is a need in order for one to survive. Train yourself in managing your time. Take note that Student Population decreases every term because they can’t bear the Fast Phase of the Quarterm.
ENJOY YOUR LAST LONG VACATION. 1 Month Vacation is Heaven for Mapuans!
As much as possible, pass all your subjects. Tuition Fee in Mapua is very expensive and every money spent should be worth it.
Throughout your stay, Your patience will be tested. Especially during the Viewing of Grades and Online and In-campus Enrollment.
STUDY HARD. There is no hard subject for a student who reviews his lessons everyday. :)
I hope everyone will enjoy their stay in Mapua! Viva Mapua! :)
(To all students: I hope we will pass all our subjects this term! Goodluck sa Finals!! :D)
There are several things that are considered as a sore in the Mapuan community. Some of them are left unnoticed and gradually became a part of the stacks of reasons why you’re a Mapuan.
P.E. ON FIRST DAY: You don’t have to wear your P.E. uniform on the first day of classes or for your first meeting for class unless you’re the P.E. instructor. Nonetheless, no matter how many times you mention this, frosh students still wear their P.E. uniforms during the first week.
RELY ON OT: A Mapuan’s guide, as some of us call it. The dependence on OT must be discarded and actual reading of textbooks and answering of problems should be practiced.
PLUS POINTS IF YOU BUY TICKETS: There are several ways to earn additional points for that Math exam and one of them is buying Bingo Cards or tickets to a school event.
STUDYING AT THE CANTEEN: The cafeteria is a place for eating not for doing requirements and reviewing. We have the library for that.
THE NEW BUILDER: THE NEXT FAN OR SEAT COVER: Mapuans should value the school organ and not use it in order to cool themselves or use it in order to protect your pants from dirt. The school organ is a product of both hardwork and dedication yet we don’t seem to value it.
NO INDEX CARD: Mapuans should be knowledgeable that index cards are a must during the first week of classes. Due to the continuous I forgot excuses, the line at the bookstore is at its longest.